Young construction worker Md Abdul Awal Ratan suffered a serious stroke and the right side of the body remained paralyzed. He is a Bangladeshi worker of 33 years old who got married in 2013 and has 10 month old baby. Some observations of his condition listed below for information:
- His memory is not consistent and loosing frequently. There is no synchrony between his memory and expression;
- He can understand our talking but unable to speak;
- His right side of the body completely unable to move;
- He needs support 24/7 to lead his life.
Ratan is the sole breadwinner of the family. Currently Ratan has three dependents (Wife, child and mother); Now, he himself burden to his family.
Assistance Provided to Ratan:
- Lump sum payment prior to release immediate financial needs and also to buy special bed or other home mobility appliances.
- Monthly payment to support him and his family
- Chariabella is the Daughter of Filipino Construction Supervisor who was born with rare eye cancer. She lost one eye within a few months of birth.
- After over a year and a half fight to save her other eye – costing tens of thousands of dollars – she lost sight completely.
- Her family is tens of thousands of dollars in debt.
- Assistance Provided: Substantial lump sum from from LHC Singapore plus assistance from Hong Kong. Future needs under consideration.
- Chariabella’s mother makes dolls etc to raise funds. LHC helps selling the dolls.
An Indian worker inadvertently drank liquid from an unmarked bottle believing it to be water. In was in fact a highly corrosive liquid. He was hospitalised under emergency condition – regarded as being very lucky to survive.
- Lighthouse Club paid him assistance money during his prolonged recovery period. He has since returned to India.
A Chinese worker died in industrial accident. Lighthouse Club provided assistance to the family and also assisted in repatriation expenses.
An Indian worker fell from a roof. A lump sum donation was offered to his wife.
An Indian worker fell into a lift shaft. A lump sum donation was given to the family.
A worker fell from a rope access and went into coma. He has recovered but injured his spine. Lump sum donation was given to the family.
Assistance to Families
Construction supervisor Govindan passed away suddenly during waiting for the food at the hawar stall on the way to work. Govindan was the sole breadwinner of the family and he is Indian national. There are five dependents currently suffering in his family (Wife, 3 kids (a girl and two boys) and mother).
Assistance Provided: A lump sum payment was made to release immediate financial needs, followed by monthly allowance to support the family and referring Educational Trust at Lighthouse club (Hong Kong) to provide educational support to 3 kids.
Father died. He is sole bread winner of a family with 3 school going kids. Immediate cash assistance was provided for the funeral expenses. Thereafter, Lighthouse Club paid for 2 of the girls’ studies at the Singapore Polytechnic including monthly allowances. The girls have since graduated and support their younger brother thru his studies.
Breadwinner killed by falling sheets of glass which crushed him. Lighthouse Club is providing on-going monthly assistance to the bereaved family.
Father died tragically of cancer at a very young age, leaving elderly mother and children with little support. Lighthouse Club is providing on-going monthly assistance to the family.
Indian worked killed in industrial accident. Pending settlement of insurance claims; Lighthouse Club sent a donation to the widow in India. Now we are trying to arrange assistance from Regional funds to support the family’s two young children’s education.
Young daughter of working family needed urgent heart operation and could not afford the costs. Lighthouse Club paid the bills – she has now fully recovered and healthy.
The husband of an Indonesian lady working in Singapore was diagnosed with cancer. Lighthouse Club funded treatment. Regrettably despite the treatment the husband succumbed to the disease.
German national with Pilipino wife and family suffered a severe stroke. Unable to work or even travel and was left destitute and abandoned by his local employer. Lighthouse Club funded assistance to him during his latter months in Singapore until he was able to travel home. Lighthouse assisted with the repatriation air fares.
A construction worker’s wife gave birth to a premature baby and ended with a substantial medical bill. A lump sum donation was given to the family to help with the medical costs.
Lighthouse Club have now assisted funding the tertiary education of more than 20 students from needy families over the years.